Weird & Wonderful
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Fortean Times chat forum about the weird and wonderful world of the paranormal.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Check the "Investigations" board for details on our next paranormal Investigation (Coleby Grange)
Can all users please introduce themselves in the 'New Members Introduction' - Thank You
Visit our sister site: Dominie Brown's Ghost Hunting Website http://www.afterlifers.webs.com/
Can all users please introduce themselves in the 'New Members Introduction' - Thank You

superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ana Gerr-Management
Admin
Ana Gerr-Management

superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!! Empty
PostSubject: superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!!   superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 1:09 pm

ok superstition has been around for thousands of years, for instance shakespeare and his actors would say break a leg???!!, actors there after can not say mcbeth in a theatre, walking under ladders is bad luck??black cats cant pass you, walking past people on the stairs is bad??

some of these i understand and some i really dont get like the ladder one for instance, ladders havent been around as long as time itself, so who the flip! came up with that?? they must have had a bad experiance with a ladder!

no the passing people on the stairs i do believe i dunno why, i just do. i also believe that to see two magpies in succession first thing in the morning must be good luck, well how many people can say they saw that?? lol

then there are the stupid ones you come up with as a kid,

you cant open a packet of crisps the wrong way up.
dont step on the cracks or you'll fall and break your back.

i really dont know why i did these things lol but i guess as a kid you believe more.....now as an adult i question it ?!

does superstition really exist?? or rather the belief of it??

haha has this made any sense????
Back to top Go down
https://weirdandwonderful.forumotion.com
McFuzzball
Admin
McFuzzball

PostSubject: Re: superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!!   superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 3:39 pm

It makes perfect sense, but unfortunately I don't believe in luck or superstition. A load of phooey, I gone against every superstition in the book and nothing's changed from when I used to consciously avoid suchs acts, because I was young and foolish.

I once believed a certain band and their music brought me bad luck and have since discarded the CD in a field (Threw it like a frisbee, whooop!), my logic behind it was that when I first started listening to them things started to go wrong for me, people started falling out with me, found out my girlfriend was cheat, etc. Over time I stopped listening to them, and just forgot about them... until one day I found the CD under my bed and popped it in to have a listen, then things started going wrong yet again. Another breakup, falling grades, people treating me like shit, failure to get a job. I pinned my misfortune on the music. But since then, things have barely improved, like they did the last time I stopped listening to the music. Of course, I had my suspicions all the time, and knew it couldn't have been the music, at LEAST not completely but down to the fact that I'm a useless tosser.

This is why most people have bad luck, they make mistakes, they have up and down points in their lives, and if they happen to have a down point they like to blame it on a 'superstition' and think of something they've done recently which might account for their bad luck. In particular, this blame could take the form of a supserstition which could mundane, day-to-day activities such as walking under a ladder, having a black cat crossing your path, opening your umbrella up in-doors. ANYTHING at all to make them believe their misfortune isn't down to a fault of their own, but in fact something completely silly and unrelated to them in any way.

All of this is deep in the subconscious, of course and this IS just a theory so you know, don't jump down my throat about it. I'm in the same boat at you, I have no actual proof of this.

That's what I believe anyway, take it how you will.
Back to top Go down
Ana Gerr-Management
Admin
Ana Gerr-Management

PostSubject: Re: superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!!   superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 3:47 pm

ok i see what you mean, i dont think ive ever had an experiance like that? ive had a few things happen to me that are covered by luck as well as superstition, such as i wanted to go on a skewl trip and i believed if i thought hard enough about it i would get picked to go and i did, i also thought the same for a friend and she got to go, i also have had many same occurences to do with money, ive alwys believed if i thought hard enough then i would get it but if i stopped thinking abou theses things even for a second then i wouldnt, is this sorta thing covered by your theory??
Back to top Go down
https://weirdandwonderful.forumotion.com
McFuzzball
Admin
McFuzzball

PostSubject: Re: superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!!   superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 4:22 pm

No they are not. But thinking about things isn't luck. I think it's just coincidence if it happens to work. It doesn't mean a thing. Sorry scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!!   superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!! Empty

Back to top Go down

superstition things i believe and things that i dont get??!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Weird & Wonderful :: Myths and Legends :: Luck-
Jump to: