Weird & Wonderful
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Fortean Times chat forum about the weird and wonderful world of the paranormal.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Check the "Investigations" board for details on our next paranormal Investigation (Coleby Grange)
Can all users please introduce themselves in the 'New Members Introduction' - Thank You
Visit our sister site: Dominie Brown's Ghost Hunting Website http://www.afterlifers.webs.com/
Can all users please introduce themselves in the 'New Members Introduction' - Thank You

The Philadelphia Experiment

Go down 
AuthorMessage
McFuzzball
Admin
McFuzzball

The Philadelphia Experiment Empty
PostSubject: The Philadelphia Experiment   The Philadelphia Experiment EmptySun May 24, 2009 4:09 pm

The Philadelphia Experiment :
A Personal Saga in Time Travel

by Drue, edited by Debra Cunningham

It was the early hours of August 15th, 1943, the intense chill of the brisk morning air was bitter and humid, penetrating deeply into each one of us, further compounding the already heightened tensions that we were enduring at the moment. While the majority of the surrounding populous were tucked snugly underneath their warm blankets sleeping, I along with four other civilian scientists were watching many of the 176 sailors report to work on board the decks of the ship. To them, it was just another routine work day after having a well deserved night of liberty. We were on the USS Eldridge, a newly launched navy destroyer, with special authority from the U.S. Naval Department to conduct our assignments; a highly secretive scientific experiment....

After many months of preparation and planning, we had at last arrived at the final stage of the project. It was necessary for us to gut the internal confines of the Eldridge to accommodate four immense generators along with Tesla coils, electron tubes and the many miles of inch thick cable that was laid throughout the ship’s cable raceways. While watching the young sailors report on board, I remember reflecting back on the events of three days earlier, August 12th.

It was on this day, we had conducted a dry run with the Eldridge using the awesome technology developed for the sole purpose of rendering inanimate objects invisible. I could not shake from my mind the horror that I witnessed when we placed small animals in metal cages made of different materials, and strategically positioning them throughout the confines of the ship, after which, we rendered it invisible. In this experiment we had attempted to determine the effects and affects of arcing living organisms with inanimate objects. The results were disastrous!

Having mix emotions, I was disconcerted with the military’s rationale to continue on schedule knowing that they knew the potential danger, however, there was an air of excitement that overcame my scientific nature in what we were getting ready to embark upon. The military authorities in charge of the project would not take heed of our advise to delay further scheduled operations, so that we could determine what went wrong. They knew, like I knew that this schedule was based solely on a window of opportunity, and we also knew another would not be available soon. I now understood what Dr. Nikola Tesla was dealing with before his decision to leave the project. I felt confident and content with the foresight in our planning, that as long as we maintained the control of our own destiny and could pull the plug to stop the operation at any sign of trouble, all would be well. We were at an extreme disadvantage not knowing what to expect.

Experimentation up to this date had always been controlled from external sources, whereas with this one, we would have control from within the confines of the Eldridge. We had worked frantically day and night in replacing damaged equipment sustained during the dry run, just to be ready for this morning’s scheduled run. This operation had much more at stake then all of the previous experimentation put together. For myself, it was a day in my life that I realized for the first time —- I knew, what I didn’t know! The valuable time spent with Tesla prepared me for the many possibilities that this day could hold — though, I didn’t like what I heard. The dry run confirmed to me what Tesla already knew of the eminent dangers, and at the very least — I knew we were in trouble, if not damned to be damned....

Preparing to pull up anchor from the docks of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, the sailors seemed anxious about their next adventure at sea. It was shortly thereafter, under a cloak of darkness, that we had started our movement down the Delaware river with one small scientific research vessel following closely behind. As we moved out to sea, all heard and felt the unusual humming sound that was being emitted from the four powerful generators as they were slowly switched to higher frequencies — the vibration becoming increasingly stronger and stronger. Routine work on the Eldridge came to a complete halt as our hair now stood on end. We all felt a sense of apprehension with the uncommon electrical sensations flowing about the ship. Some men began to shake with uncontrollable fear, many others were looking cautiously about their surroundings not knowing what to think, while others tried to find comfort in their morning cup of coffee. For even the most fearless men of the ship, panic set in when men were electrocuted because they did not take heed to the instructions to stay clear from the cables that were laid out along the outer walls of the ship. Unbeknownst to the sailors who were trained only in the operation of a naval ship, for the first time were involved in an attempt to accomplish a scientific feat never before undertaken. However, they now knew this was not going to be a routine day in naval shipping.

Just prior to dawn and while out at sea, we rendered the USS Eldridge invisible by switching the generators to full strength. The men were now experiencing horrors beyond their beliefs. They were not prepared for what was to come, thus, many of the men’s minds caved and cracked. When we switched the generators to full power, it had created a strong electromagnetic field, which totally overcame and engulfed us within a heavy fog or a mist. It was at this precise moment that I sensed myself being shook violently from a strong vibration and at the same time I noted the ship disappearing from around and below me. With a generator to my back, all of a sudden as if in slow motion, I felt a tremendous impact in which I sensed my entire body being propelled outwards into hundreds of fragmented pieces. With this impact, there was a brilliant flash of light, so intense it was not only blinding, but consuming; the piercing sound forced me to the ship’s deck covering my ears with my hands in a desperate attempt to relieve the pain. Now bleeding from my mouth, nose and ears, nothing seemed to help the discomfort that I was experiencing, leaving me with the one and only thought I repeatedly recall saying to myself — “I wished I were dead”!

Eventually, these anomalies subsided and being extremely disoriented, “time” as I knew it did not seem to exist. I felt “stuck” in place, unable to move in a field of energy of total darkness. I began to realize that something had gone drastically wrong as Tesla had foreseen. Finally collecting my wits, and not allowing fear to become an overwhelming factor, I literally had to use my entire WILL and physical strength to break loose from the field of energy that encased me. Being successful in freeing myself, I was able to move about the ship taking note of many others who also were in the same predicament. There were those who were moving about in total panic, some consumed with fire and others seemed to glow. I had to reach the pilot room to locate the Captain of the ship in order to assess damages, but he too, was “stuck”. It was at this time I felt the necessity to shut down the generators to unplug the operation. The entire ship was transparent, like that of a dark red colored gelatin. Therefore, I was able to not only see through the walls of the ship, but able to move through the walls as well. An attempt made solely out of desperation, I reached through the wall for one of the generator switches —- it had no substance....

After we had rematerialized some 24 hours later and out at sea, the scene was chaotic. I was taken off the Eldridge by stretcher and immediately placed under medical sequester on board a U.S. Naval medical ship. With the sun shining brightly, I remember looking back at the horrific scene of the Eldridge still smoldering from its fires. Naval personnel were running about and working frantically to get things under control. Many of the men that were part of the rescue mission were overtaken by what they saw, and others became ill from the stench of the burning and decomposing flesh left behind for them to clean up. Things were so bad that some men from the other ships even refused to board the Eldridge. The USS Eldridge was no longer sea worthy, extremely radioactive and unstable; and of the 181 men, only 21 of us had survived. Forty men were confirmed dead as a result of radiation exposure, burns, electrocution, and fright. Twenty-seven of these 40 were men embedded within the structure of the ship, but who were not in all cases dead. Mercifully some were shot in the head using a standard military pistol, yet others were kept alive long enough for laboratory research. Lastly, the remaining 120 men were never seen from again. They were not on the Eldridge when we had returned — they were JUST GONE....

This incident that I just related to you is a personal account of my experience while on the USS Eldridge and was by no means easy to put in words. The horror and fear that every man went through is far beyond even my ability to put in words. What I personally experienced was of such a nature that I would never wish this on another. Today, many of you know this incident as the “Philadelphia Experiment”; an experiment that even to this day the U.S. government denies. In one sense this experiment worked and in another it was a failure. However, know this — where there is one failure, there are many successes!

There has been a lot of controversy about this experiment, and it is widely regarded as a hoax. As a sceptic, I am inclined to say that it more than likely is, otherwise something similar would have be recreated but in a more controlled environment, an experiment gone wrong wouldn't necessarily mean that it didn't come up with any results, and those results could be used to work towards perfecting the procedure and thus advancing our technology... but there have been no such research done since (that we know of). However, if it ISN'T a hoax, it's certainly very interesting that we have (or at least had) such capabilities, such as to make a ship invisible. True, it DID go wrong, but with a bit of fine tuning and a decade or so of research, we could perfect a cloaking device. Such cloaking devices we have only ever seen the likes of in Sci-Fi movies. Perhaps, over time, it could be manufactured into handheld devices, in the same manner that computers have been. It ALSO brings light to time travel, and again, with a bit of fine tuning, whose to say that we couldn't be able to through time by this stage. And then again, how do we know time travel isn't already available, same with cloaking devices, we've just been kept at bay by the government because if such technology passed into the hands of the general public, all hell could break loose?

Please, penny for your thoughts?
Back to top Go down

The Philadelphia Experiment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Weird & Wonderful :: Science :: Alternate Dimensions, Black Holes & Time Travel-
Jump to: